Friday, March 27, 2009

Hong Kong 2009

Well its been three days now since I arrived in Hong Kong. Time has flown by this winter and it feels like I just left this place! Its been a busy three days, although not nearly as busy as in the fall. I have visited three different schools, speaking with counselors and juniors that are interested in Northeastern and I have hosted my first of four receptions. Unfortunately without realizing it I am competing with the Rugby Seven's for attendance, and thats not a competition I'm going to win. The rugby sevens is an international competition, and for those of you that might not know about rugby, its just as big as american football if not bigger. Hong Kong has so many tourists here for the games! I couldn't figure out why there were so many tourists until I heard about the tournament but now it makes sense.

While people here would call the weather unseasonably cool, I'm enjoying it! Its about 70 degrees which is about 30 degrees warmer than Boston when I left, perfect weather for me to travel around without a jacket. Yesterday after one of my visits I spent some time in Stanley Market shopping around and then had lunch on a patio overlooking Repulse Bay, lunch was good timing as it poured the entire time I ate.

Friday night I hosted my first reception and had about 11 students and their families in attendance which is about double what I had last year. I also had 4 alumni and a coop student in attendance which really helped the students out with all of their questions.

Ok, ok, now on to what alot of you have been waiting for, the food and I have had a lot of good food in the short time I have been here: dim sum for breakfast, pork and noodles with shrimp wontons for lunch, pad thai ghoreng for lunch, spring rolls and pork dumplings for dinner and I still have a day left!

Well it is Saturday here in Hong Kong and I have nothing to do! I'm off to have lunch with an alumni a little later but right now I just finished watching Louisville and Oklahoma crush their opponents (thanks to cbssports I can watch the games everywhere!). I think a trip to the ladies market (its not what it sounds like, lots of vendors selling jewelry and clothing and not just for ladies) and Tsimshatsui are in order for later today and back to my room for an early bedtime tonight before the rugby sevens ends and the city goes wild! Off to Seoul on Sunday.

2 comments:

Tom Robinson said...

Ladies market huh? Sounds like an amazing experience and great job having a coop at the reception. That is perfect for the students. -Tom

Shivani said...

Stay safe and have fun, Darren!