Saturday, September 13, 2008

Last Day in Seoul

I know I said that I would blog again before leaving Seoul but unfortunately that didn't work out. I ended up getting more dumplings for dinner (I branched out from the pork and vegetable to the spicy shrimp and vegetable, fish and fried pork dumplings) and before I knew it I fell asleep right in the middle of eating my dinner. I figured this was a sign that I needed to go to bed.

Saturday morning I woke up and took the shuttle to Incheon Airport for my flight to Shanghai. I was flying China Southern Airlines which of course had to have the longest line for checking in for your flight. But luckily I met Adam Walsh an English teacher at Seoul University and a journalist for Groove Magazine (an ex-pat mag in Seoul). If anyone has met my brother-in-law Rod, Adam is the spitting image so we got along pretty well. He was on his way to Shanghai too so we talked the entire time up until check-in and then ended up sitting next to each other on the flight. Adam has been in Seoul on and off for the last four years. He teaches at one of the few respectable universities in South Korea and writes articles for "The Groove Magazine" in Seoul. His latest article was on the Dokdo islands which are disputed islands between South Korea and Japan. He was able to give me some great tips and places to go next time I'm in Seoul. Hopefully he'll still be there next year so that he can show me around too.

When we finally arrived in Shanghai, just like any airport outside of the U.S. it only took about 20 minutes to go through immigration and before long I was in my taxi to my airport. I'm glad that I still remember what little chinese I know as I was able to tell the taxi driver where to go. By the time I arrived at my hotel in Shanghai it has begun to pour. I was hoping to meet my friend "mei mei" who I met in Anhui two years ago but due to the weather and her current job we'll have to wait till tomorrow to meet up. Worst of all I can't get folderwave to work here so I won't be able to do any GPA re-calcs! Well its time to grab some dinner, maybe hit up the gym before bed.

Tomorrow Rich, Matt and I will be going to Nanjing to visit some students there. I forgot to mention, over the next week I'll be traveling with Rich Dawson from Pepperdine University and Matt Bonser from Colorado College. Hopefully I'll have more interesting stuff to talk about tomorrow.

No comments: