Saturday, April 4, 2009

Oi Shii!

Ok, my last meal in Tokyo was...of course! Sushi! But this was different...

Today was my last full day in Tokyo and I have loved my time here. This afternoon I hosted my third Admitted Student Reception which was a success once again. Not only did I have about 8 students and their families in attendance, I also had one of my guidance counselors and one of my best friends mothers in attendance. My friend Takuo is from Japan and everytime I come to Tokyo I meet up with his mother and she brings me to some local japanese restaurants. But this time was special, Tak's mom came to my reception in a traditional Kimono:

Tak and his mother in traditional Kimonos (just kidding, but these are traditional kimonos)

After the reception Tak's mother took me out to Tak's favorite sushi place in Roppongi, right near where Tak grew up. Apparently everytime he comes back to Tokyo, Tak eats here. If I thought I ate alot of sushi at the conveyor belt restaurant then I was wrong! I ate about double that tonight! Tak's mom ordered me an assortment of sushi that I have never tried which included: mini squid, monkfish liver, scallops, red snapper, squid, shrimp, tuna, mackerel, horse makerel (apparently there is a difference), flounder, salmon roe, eel, sea urchin, Tak's favorite sushi (help me out here buddy I can't remember the name) which includes crunchy fish roe, Arcfish (I couldn't understand the translation), sea urchin (a different type that is cooked), I know there were a couple more but I can't remember them, but you can see that I ate alot of sushi! And then topped it off with a scoop of Green Tea and Red Bean ice cream.

I think my trip to Tokyo has been really good. I enjoyed the high school visit and the reception and I really enjoyed exploring Roppongi hills, oh yeah and the sushi wasn't bad either...

Off to Singapore in the morning!

1 comment:

dyanna said...

I like it ... Very interesting