Friday, April 3, 2009

Sawatdee Kaa!

Well as I'm sure you know I'm long past Seoul by now but let me catch you up on my travels. Last time I wrote I was in Seoul just about to host my second Admitted Student Reception. It wasn't nearly as good as Hong Kong, but that was to be expected Northeastern University doesn't have the reputation in Seoul that it has in Hong Kong, at least not yet...

There was one good thing about the reception though...all you can eat sushi (please see my last post about sushi)!!!! After everyone goes home is when I usually get my chance to eat during a reception and there was plenty of food after the Seoul reception so I feasted on a ton of sushi and shrimp, along with everything else, but lets be honest, I focused on the sushi, I may have eaten too much. Once that was over, I was off to Thailand and this was quite the adventure. On my flight to Bangkok, right before we were to take off there was a sick passenger so we had to go back to the gate and then all of a sudden a huge verbal argument broke out in the aisle right next to me! It was almost comical and I wish I understood Korean so I could know what they were yelling about, it seemed to be about the persons luggage in the overhead compartment. I'm sure it would have been much less interesting if I could have understood it. Its much more fun when you can come up with your own subtitles to a conversation.

You know I always forget how much I love Bangkok. When people ask me what my favorite cities are, I always say Hong Kong and Singapore. Maybe because I have been there more than any other cities but for some reason I always forget how nice the people are in Thailand, how beautiful the country is and how awesome the weather is, plus when I am in Bangkok I stay in an apartment instead of a hotel room and it always costs much less than a hotel room in other countries.

This trip to Bangkok is a short one, just one day. I only had time to visit two schools but was done by 4pm so I had the afternoon/evening to walk around a bit. The area that I stay in is the Embassy district, so there is a lot of cool buildings and restaurants. Tonights menu is phad thai with prawns, mmm. Unfortunately I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning so its an early night. Off to Tokyo in the morning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Darren, Sawatdee Kaa is what women say. Next time you're in Thailand you might want to try Sawatdee Khrap!